Ransomware, phishing attacks, patch Thursday, social engineering – it’s a scary out there. The ITSM Review is conducting some research on cyber security for publication. The aim of the study is to look at challenges and threats, cyber security activities in the current market and best practice.
In a world dominated by technology, cyber security and resilience has never been so important. Here are just some of the statistics about why cyber security should be on everyone’s agenda:
- In 2015 even fewer SMBs (29%) used standard tools like configuration and patching to prevent security breaches compared to the 39% who did so in 2014. Source: Cisco 2016 Annual Security Report.
- The median number of days that attackers stay dormant within a network before detection is over 200. Source:Microsoft Advanced Threat Analytics
- As much as 70 percent of cyberattacks use a combination of phishing and hacking techniques and involve a secondary victim. Source: Verizon 2015 Data Breach Investigations Report.
- Only 38 percent of global organisations claim they are prepared to handle a sophisticated cyberattack. Source:ISACA International 2015 Global Cybersecurity Status Report”
- According to CyberArk malicious cyber attacks cost the US up to to US $ 1 Trillion a year!
This research will look at the impact of cyber threats and how to deal with cyber security in an ever changing environment. The study will focus on these three areas:
- Challenges and threats
- Cyber security activities
- Best practice and RESILIA
The main aim of the research will enable readers to understand the challenges and carry out a tangible risk assessment, build a business case for action and understand best practice around cyber security and resilience.