Our next Group Test will explore the relationship between the IT management disciplines of IT Asset Management (ITAM) and IT Service Management (ITSM).
The review will explore the opportunities for managing assets and interacting with ITAM teams whilst maintaining everyday ITSM processes.
We’re looking to review:
- ITSM tools that offer ITAM functionality or integrate with tools that do
- As well as ITAM tools that provide value add to ITSM lifecycles
Our Group Tests review and compare the features and strengths of technology for a particular use case.
Previous Group Tests:
- Outside IT
- Change, Config and Release
- Knowledge Management
- Service Catalogue
- Request Fulfilment
- Incident and Problem Management
- Self Service – Completed – to be published soon
The aim of the review is to support prospective buyers with their selection process by providing features to consider when building integrations between ITAM & ITSM – highlighting key competitive differentiators between products.
ITAM and ITSM (2+2=5)
To be agile in making financial decisions in IT, we need to shift from ITAM being a reactive process (counting up the mess after it has happened, performing true-ups) to be Proactive. ITAM need to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the architects and project managers making technology choices to support them and help the business make smarter decisions. Decisions need to be made whilst considering efficient delivery of services (ITSM) whilst also considering risk and total financial impact (ITAM).
The table below highlights the six most likely sources of change within your IT environment. By embracing and working with these sources of change, we can help the business make quicker and smarter decisions.
ITAM can be an enabler and source of business intelligence for ITSM and IT teams in general – addressing change at a strategic level rather than in a reactive fire-fighting capacity.
The diagram below shows a typical cradle-to-grave lifecycle of an asset and where I believe the opportunities exist for providing more agile ITAM and integrating with ITSM.
ITAM & ITSM Integration Group Test- Key Topic areas:
- Inventory – How do you manage an inventory of assets and ensure accuracy?
- Change Management – How are formal changes communicated to the ITAM team?
- Request Fulfilment – How are asset costs and authorisations delivered via requests?
- Relationship Mapping – How is the relationship between users, assets and services managed?
- Asset Usage – How are unused, AWOL or stolen assets managed?
- Installs, Moves, Adds and Changes (IMAC) – How are everyday changes to systems reflected in asset data?
- Procurement – How are ITAM and ITSM data combined to allow smarter procurement decisions?
Have I missed anything – what else would you add to this list?
Suppliers who wish to participate should contact us.